Now Accepting Applications for 2023 Betty Franklin-Hammonds & George Anglin Memorial Scholarships
The Betty Franklin-Hammonds Scholarship Fund was created to honor one of Madison’s most dynamic and visionary leaders, Ms. Betty Franklin-Hammonds. With her passing in April 1999, this scholarship was started through a generous endowment from the Madison Community Foundation with subsequent gifts added by friends, family and people in the community. The Betty Franklin-Hammonds Scholarship rewards the accomplishments of graduating seniors seeking to further their education beyond high school, with special attention given to those who have faced particular economic and/or social obstacles on their journey to educational advancement. Scholarship recipients receive a one-time, $750 scholarship.
The George Anglin Memorial Scholarship is awarded to 2 graduating seniors who have overcome obstacles to achieving their goal of pursuing a post-secondary program focused on technology, music, art, or another STEAM field. The scholarship was created by Jim Gallegos to honor the life and legacy of his spouse – George Anglin – who passed away in 2020. Scholarship recipients receive a one-time, $1,275 scholarship.
Nominations are accepted from any Dane County high school. Nominees are selected based on their academic performance, community involvement, and volunteer service outside of school. All Dane County schools (public or private) are eligible and encouraged to nominate students.
To submit a complete nomination for consideration, please submit the following nomination elements by 5:00pm on Friday, December 9, 2022. The essay component may be submitted directly by the nominee via email to [email protected]
- Complete and submit the below nomination form – nominated students will be considered for both scholarship opportunities
- Submit a copy of the nominee’s transcripts via email to [email protected]
- The nominee should complete and submit an essay, no longer than 500 words in length, for each of the 4 following prompts (4 total essay responses of 500 words or less):
- What are the goals you intend to pursue in your life and what role will higher education play in your plan for accomplishing these goals?
- How will you share your accomplishments with your community in order to help improve it?
- What has been the biggest challenge you have had personally and how have you handled that challenge?
- What are your educational and career aspirations related to the STEAM fields (science, technology, engineering, arts, & math)?
Awards will be announced at our MLK Youth Recognition event on January 16th, 2023. More details about the event will be shared as we get closer to MLK Day.